We are proud to be part of a long Dominican Tradition. The school was founded by the Dominican Sisters of Saint Catherine of Siena. To this day, we continue to have strong links to Rosary Priory and the Sisters there.
Mother Rose Niland OP, was the Foundress of the Dominican Sisters of Saint Catherine of Siena in Newcastle, Natal, South Africa in 1896.
Mother Rose’s life-long commitment was to the education of young people and formation of young people and her Sisters in the Catholic Faith. She acquired the property at Rosary Priory in 1926 and continued here in England the mission of building Catholic schools begun in South Africa.
Every year, our EYFS and Year 6 children visit Rosary Priory to perform the Nativity to the Sisters. Members of the Order are also treasured guests at school events, including St Catherine of Siena Feast Day and our Leavers’ Celebration.
Staff, pupils and Governors have taken part in several retreats at the Niland Centre, learning more about St Catherine and our Dominican Charism. We strive to continue the mission of the Order; to continue ‘to Praise, to Bless, to Preach’.
Recently we have be blessed to be involved with the Dominican Associates group and work with other Dominican schools in the area, particularly St Michael’s Catholic High School, a Dominican School within our Trust.